Songs can be used in many fun ways in English class (ESL, EFL). I love music, so I make it a centerpiece of my classes. For me, the more songs the better. Here we go!
- Before Class Time: Get your students ready for the class before it starts by playing songs in English. This can be a playlist of songs that you are singing in your class, or something else nice to listen to.
- Warm-Up Songs: I always sing a song with my students as part of the warm-up. Keep the warm-up songs simple and introduce the language as part of the warm-up. A great warm=-up song example is “Head, Shoulders, Knees, and Toes.”
- Topic Songs: You can use songs to help teach the vocabulary and phrases that you are learning in the class. For example, if you are learning the weather try the “Weather Song/Sun Comes Up.” It introduces the weather and asks, “How’s the weather?”
4. Fun Time: Sometimes we need a bit of a break from drilling and games and songs can be a lot of fun! Choose a student favorite or some action song to get the kids moving. For example, try “Shake It Out” a student favorite!
5. Goodbye Song: I always end the class with a Goodbye Song. This lets the students know that the class is over. For some reason, the students sing this song very enthusiastically! Check out the Dream English Goodbye Song here.