I teach children English (ESL, EFL), and I always play music on either the CD player or through YouTube before the class starts. Of course I always play songs with English singing. Sometimes I put on some nice folk or blues music, but most often I put on the songs we will be singing in class that day.
Top Five Reasons to Play Music Before Class Starts
- Playing music sets the mood for the class, and can make it a relaxed atmosphere.
- The students will hear the songs in English and remember that they are in an English class and they will be expected to speak in English.
- Reinforces the songs that the students are learning in class. Some students may even start singing along before class starts!
- When parents or teachers bring their children or students to the classroom, it lets them know that the teacher is prepared for an English lesson.
- Helps the teacher review the lyrics of the songs they will be singing in class. (Very important!)
Whatever songs you are singing in class, I recommend making a CD or a playlist to play at least 10 minutes before class starts.
Halloween is coming up soon and we are singing many Halloween songs in the class. So now I am starting out the class with the Dream English Kids Halloween Album you can now listen to for free on YouTube.
As you can tell, I love music! Add some more music to your class today to give it a boost!